Not very well known, and probably completely forgotten about, but Ugly Betty actually taught us a lot more than the obvious.
Having recently rediscovered one of my favourite shows, I remember how much I used to love adorable little Betty. It was 2006 when it first aired and I was (wait, what’s 21 minus 9?) erm, about 12? No, surely not!
It’s the perfect programme to binge watch, but I wouldn’t label it trash TV as I’ve learned a good solid amount of lessons from Ugly Betty. Call it cringey, but here are the reasons why Ugly Betty, both the show and protagonist (flawless actress, might I add), should have had more recognition:
- It shows us the importance of kindness.
- How the material doesn’t actually matter.
- How important it is to appreciate and love your family.
- To not be afraid to be ambitious, especially as a woman.
- That actually achieving your dream is a thing.
- Remember you are ALWAYS good enough.
- To value true friends – and actually do it.
- Don’t waste your time on toxic relationships.
- No matter how much you try with some people, they won’t change, but don’t let it slow you down.
- Once someone has f*cked you over, don’t bother going back.
- No matter how much you bicker with your siblings, remember you still love each other.
- Everyone is beautiful.
- Freebies are always a good thing.
- Always have the extra slice of pizza.
- And always drink champagne where possible.
I could go on. But yeah, this show is always a good decision. It has the romantic flings, the comedy elements, the easy watching, celebrity cameos and good old drama and if you’re not a fan, who even are you?!
Perfect for a cosy night in with a pizza or to spend an all-day hangover with. It’s both comforting and gives you a little perspective on some things in life; plus you can laugh at the outrageous trends of almost a decade ago. If you’re looking for something more masculine, may I suggest Homes Under the Hammer.